Have you caught the Houzz.com fever? Houzz is an idea site that connects users with contractors. It’s one thing to become inspired by an idea, it’s another thing entirely to be connected with someone who can bring that idea to life. That’s the beauty of Houzz, and any business in the home improvement industry that’s not using it is missing out in a big way.
Take a look at these important recent statistics from a Houzz Survey:
- 90 percent of Houzz users own their homes
- 75 percent of Houzz users are actively planning to redecorate or remodel their home
- 73 percent of homeowners plan to redecorate within the next two years
- 58 percent of renovating homeowners are planning to hire help
- 40 percent of Houzz users plan to make an addition to their home
Since its launch, Houzz.com has grown to 16 million unique visitors per month and to a community of 20 million homeowners. The idea was spawned when co-founders Adi Tatarko and Alon Cohen wanted to remodel their own home. Like other homeowners, they had collected hundreds of images and ideas but were stuck when it came to making everything work. Houzz connects companies to buyers at that all important moment when they are ready to buy.
In 2014, home remodeling is likely to trump home sales in a big way. A recent Forbes article, shared a compelling IBISWorld market research report that revealed the home improvement industry as a $47 billion industry in the U.S. The average American homeowner will spend $26,000 on a kitchen remodel alone. With this level of investment, finding the right contractor is crucial. This chart below from the 2013 Houzz survey reveals the most important attributes homeowners seek when hiring a contractor. The survey response demonstrates the importance of quality over cost.
For busineses to find success using Houzz, focus on the attributes most important to consumers using the tactics below.
- Create a Houzz profile that showcases your business in the best way possibleWhen it comes to your profile, more is more. Complete every field with detailed information. With over 2.6 million contractors registered on Houzz, pictures are a must to stand out as a business. High quality pictures help tell the business story and validate the marketing message.
- Create IdeabooksRemember, visitors of the site arrive in search of ideas. The Houzz Ideabooks are very similar to Pinterest boards and are a great way to showcase unique styles and creativity. Ideabooks help companies prove their expertise, which as shown in the chart above, is a key decision factor for Houzz members.
- Generate reviewsA picture is worth a thousand words, but a review is doubles its value. As with any purchase, homeowners want top quality and a vendor they can trust. Nothing helps build trust than reviews from clients and partners.